Monday, June 1, 2009

Is It Really June??

My goodness, I didn't mean to be absent from blogland so long!!! While I wasn't blogging or reading, I wasn't sewing either. I miss visiting with blogging friends and seeing everyone's new projects. But sometimes it's nice to step back awhile and be busy with other things...gives a fresh perspective and renewed energy.

What I have been doing is working with my sweetheart to get the garden well underway and the flowerbeds planted and blooming. We're eating green onions and should have ripe tomatoes by the middle of June. Peas, beans, squash, radishes, corn and lots of fresh veggies will be coming along. Yum...yum!!
























These are some of my favorites in the front flower garden!














We've also been organizing our barn/garage. Everything is now in its place and all the things I couldn't bear to do away with are safely stored. We still had some boxes to go through from our parents' homes. When my sweetheart's father passed away, I got some of the boxes from my mother-in-law's sewing room. In them I discovered some real quilting treasures. Here's some of the blocks that were in a box. I'm not sure if the fabrics are from feedsacks but they are old. And the block fabric has turned brown on the edges. There are 14 blocks finished and another 13 that still need to be appliqued.




















The applique stitches are so tiny and even. I don't know who made these though it might have been my sweetheart's grandmother or great-aunt. I know I can't match the background material so I'll have to figure something because it must be finished. It's too pretty to leave in a box.

There were also these unusual butterfly blocks.















There are eight of these so they would make a sweet wall hanging.

There are more treasures but I'll save those for another day.

I hope to visit some of my favorite blogs in the next few days. Hope you have a wonderful day!!!

2 comments:

The Other Barb said...

good to see your post again . sounds like you have been very busy. by the pictures, it looks like you already are starting to see the fruits of your labor. the garden is beautiful!I have to use pots to do my gardening since my soil is very sandy here in in my part of NJ.
the quilt finds are surely treasures!

Ruth said...

I have 2 butterfly blocks just like yours that my grandmother made! I posted a picture of them at my blog here: http://countrylogcabin.blogspot.com/2009/05/this-and-that.html

I think mine are from flour sacks, but I don't know anything more about them. I might make some to go with them some day...